Controlling line breaks and systems
By default, Soundslice automatically calculates how many measures will fit across a given stave. But you can override this by manually specifying line breaks.
Adding a line break
- Make sure you’re not in Scrollable Horizontal layout, because we ignore line breaks in that case.
- Select a note or rest in the bar that should have a line break — in other words, the bar that you want to make sure starts a new system.
- In the editor sidebar’s “Engraving” panel , click the “Toggle line break” icon . Or search the editor for “Toggle line break.”
Removing a line break
- Select a note or rest in the bar that has the line break.
- You’ll see the line break icon in the current notations panel. Click that to remove the line break.
Preventing line breaks
We also offer a “Prevent line break” feature, which is useful if you want the notation to be a bit more “smashed together.”
To prevent a line break before a particular bar:
- Select a note or rest in the bar that should not have a line break before it.
- In the editor sidebar’s “Engraving” panel , click the “Prevent line break” icon . Or search the editor for “Prevent line break.”
If a bar has “Prevent line break” active, you’ll see the “Prevent line break” icon in the current notations panel if any of the notes or rests within the bar are selected. Click that icon to remove “Prevent line break” from the bar.
Resetting line breaks
To clear all your custom line break data, use the “Reset all line breaks” command, accessible only in the editor search.
Line breaks and the stave width
If your line breaks result in the notation being too cramped, our graphics engine will automatically reduce the note spacing and/or zoom level. You can also adjust the stave width to give your music more breathing room.
Line breaks in imported files
Does Soundslice import line breaks if you import an existing notation file? The answer depends on the type of file you uploaded:
|File type||The happy (or sad) news about line breaks|
|MusicXML||Yes, we import line breaks|
|Guitar Pro||No, we don’t import line breaks|
|PowerTab||No, we don’t import line breaks|
|TuxGuitar||No, we don’t import line breaks|